The nearly global economic sanctions imposed on the Russian Federation due to its invasion of Ukraine had a strong impact on several Russian space-based military projects.
According to a recent announcement by the Main Department of Intelligence of the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine, Russia has been developing several satellites specialized in conducting military intelligence operations. However, with the introduction of international economic sanctions, these space industry activities came nearly to a complete halt.
In the post on Telegram, Ministry of Defense of Ukraine listed three affected military projects:
- “Repey” – a project of a high-orbital system for conducting radio-electronic intelligence;
- “Heracle-KV” – the project of the complex of the global space command and relay system;
- “Sphere” – the project of the unified satellite communication system, 3rd stage.
Reportedly, the shortage of electronic components is the main reason affecting the progress of scientific and engineering work. As a result, the planned deadlines for the completion of these projects were postponed by a couple of years:
- “Repey” project – from 2022 to 2024;
- “Heracle-KV” project – from 2023 to 2025;
- “Sphere” project – from 2025 to 2027.
For now, this information has not been officially confirmed by Russian sources.